link to Home Page

Re: ZetaTalk and Spaceguard UK

Jonathan TATE wrote:
>> Man's theories are lately falling like raindrops as he
>> learned new information about the Universe around him.
>> Take for instance the theory of why Jupiter's rotation
>> produces alternating bands on its surface.  Man's
>> explanation, modeled successfully in a computer lab,
>> dropped onto the floor with a thud.
>
> Did it?  I would be grateful for references.
>
>> We have explained why the rotation appears as it does,
>> and are confident this explanation will model well, but
>> are unlikely to hear that we are, once again, correct
>> where man is wrong.

This was a posting by NASA's Ron Baalke, on sci.astro.  Please note the
refreshing admission that their prior model explaining Jupiter's
east-west band rotation flow no longer fits with the new evidence.  The
Zetas replied with an explanation that DOES fit (below) and I believe
they are challenging NASA to model THAT.

Ron Baalke wrote:
> SEVENTY-DAY JUPITER MOVIE PULLS PATTERNS OUT OF CHAOS
>  A kaleidoscopic movie made from about 1,200 Jupiter
>  images taken by NASA's Cassini spacecraft reveals
>  unexpectedly persistent polar weather patterns on the
>  giant planet. ... one notion concerning the nature of the
>  circulation on Jupiter is incomplete at best, and possibly
>  wrong ... The model in question suggests that Jupiter's
>  alternating bands of east-west winds are the exposed
>  edges of deeper, closely-packed rotating cylinders that
>  extend north-south  through the planet.  ... many such
>  cylinders sit side-by-side, girdling the planet like rings
>  of narrow solid-rockets strapped to the outside of a larger
>  rocket ... alternating with latitude and symmetric
>  about the equator.  "However, the east-west winds that the
>  movie shows in the polar regions don't fit that model," ...
>  Jupiter's wind pattern may involve a mix of
>  rotation-on-cylinders near the equator and some other
>  circulation mechanism near the poles.

ZetaTalk wrote:
Re: Seventy-Day Jupiter Movie Pulls Patterns Out Of Chaos 3

    Gaseous planets work on the same principles driving
    their rotation, but due to the lack of a solid crust their
    cores and atmospheres MERGE, where the rotation
    patterns on the surface of a planet with a solid crust is
    altered by the form and shape that crust takes.  In
    rotation within a liquid or mobile core, the rotation rate
    differs for the various parts of the core.  Rotation, as we
    have explained, is driven by parts of the core moving
    toward or away from elements OUTSIDE of the planet.
    Like runners in a race, some parts move faster and
    others more slowly, depending upon the strength of the
    attraction or repulsion that is driving their motion within
    the core.  There are also differences in mass, so that some
    parts of the core float closer to the surface, and others
    fall to the center of the core.  What does all this do to
    the rotation of a gaseous planet, where the drama of
    rotation in the core expresses itself on the surface of the
    gaseous giant?

    Just as the oceans of the Earth pool about her Equator,
    due to being slung there by the motion of rotation, just
    so the lighter elements in a gaseous planet pool about its
    equator, with the heavier elements lining up in bands
    toward the poles.  Motion in a liquid or gaseous core,
    once started, is driven also by the very motion itself.
    Around the equator, the lighter elements rush to the
    surface, and there find they cannot leave due to the
    gravity pull of the planet, but also are being pushed
    from behind by more of the same element rushing to the
    surface.  What happens in a fast flowing river, to the
    water along the banks which are being slung away from
    the pressure at the center?  Eddy current occur, where the
    pull of the flow at the center creates a relative vacuum in
    that there is a difference in water pressure ALONG the
    fast flow, so that water slung to the sides of the flow circle
    back into those spots of lesser water pressure.  Likewise,
    eddy currents occur in a gaseous planet's latitude bands,
    so that the motion of rotation apparent on the surface
    appears to be ALTERNATING bands with an east-west
    motion. The heaviest elements in such a planet pool at the
    core, and due to the motion of rotation which slings the
    lighter elements toward the surface of the planet, these
    heavy elements also creep up toward the poles.  All else,
    the lighter elements, have left for the surface, and been
    pulled based on their relative weight toward the equator
    of the planet. The poles, thus, reflect the overall rotation
    direction of the gaseous planet.
        ZetaTalk™