link to Home Page

Re: Planet X on CNN

In Article <3B17B27C.500CA933@earthlink.net> Michael L. Cunningham wrote:
> Nancy Lieder wrote:
>> Same lens flare at three different observatories, one from
>> FRANCE, one from VANCOUVER, and one from
>> FLAGSTAFF, all on different dates?  All three looking at
>> the moving coordinates given by a woman who would not
>> know what end of a scope to look into, to the 5th and 6th
>> decimal place.
>
> Funny all three saw the same "object" when you
> claim it can't been seen unless you filter for "red".

Wrong.  The statement was, and always has been, to filter FOR red as
this makes it stand out from the other objects in the viewing area.  I
quote.

    Where its size at present is akin to a star, and the diffuse
    light across its surface would indeed have the spread and
    consistency that your reflecting planets do, there are
    significant differences that cause you to pass over it rather
    than explore it in depth. The composition is not the
    composition of reflecting sunlight, but is almost
    exclusively in the spectrum you would call red light.
    Thus you will do best if you filter for red light, and by
    this we mean filtering out all but red light.
        ZetaTalk™, Comet Visible
         (http://www.zetatalk.com/poleshft/p29.htm)

The words “cause you to pass over” imply it could be seen, and “rather
than explore it in depth” do likewise.  And the words “do best” do NOT
indicate “do only”.

> Also, the scopes used were not exactly "observatory
> grade" instruments.

   Wed, 07 Feb 2001 FRANCE
       The astrographes were built for the study of the
       ultraviolet radiation ... it gives excellent images
       of the moon and planets such as Mars, Jupiter
       or Saturn.

   Wed, 04 Apr 2001 FLAGSTAFF
       I reserved the historic Clark 24" telescope at the
       Lowell observatory in Flagstaff, AZ, for my own
       private viewing. ... he opened up the McAllister
       telescope, a newer but smaller scope with a 16"
       mirror (f3 primary, f18 system, built in 1963).

   Sun, 8 Apr 2001 VANCOUVER
       Me and friend of mine made it down to the Gordon
       Macmillan Southam Observatory.  ... I attended a
       meeting hosted by the Royal Astronomical Society
       of Canada at the H.R. Macmillan Space Center
       where Ray Villard (director of public relations of the
       Space Telescope Science Institute, operated for
       NASA By Aura, who manages the public
       information activities for the Hubble Space
       Telescope) was giving an update presentation
       on the Hubble.

> and finally in all three cases the "object" was seen
> visually by inexperienced observers.

   Wed, 07 Feb 2001 FRANCE
       The Neuchatel observatory got it. ... The daughter of the
       ASTRONOMER reports that they suspect a comet or a
       brown dwarf ...

   Wed, 04 Apr 2001 FLAGSTAFF
       I asked the operator if he would look in the same
       fashion. He looked carefully for a couple of minutes
       and confirmed what I saw. ... The operator described
       the object as diffuse and of approximate magnitude 11.

   Sun, 8 Apr 2001 VANCOUVER
       I decided to ask some people (2 of which were staff of
       the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada) and one
       other guy if an object could be accurately located if
       someone gave only the RA/Dec to a competent operator
       at a modern observatory. The answer was yes in all cases.