link to Home Page

Re: Challenge to Jim Scotti

Article: <6j9j8c$j2p@dfw-ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Challenge to Jim Scotti
Date: 12 May 1998 13:36:12 GMT

In article <MPG.fc0bb991535b89d9896fa@news.connect.ab.ca> Paul Campbell
writes:
>> The Moon does NOT HAVE A CIRCULAR ORBIT, and
>> thus you MUST address the fact that twice a month, for a
>> full week, it is LESS THAN 90 DEGREE IN ITS
>> APPROACH TOWARD THE EARTH, and thus it's
>> speed would be eroded, as we have stated, and its orbit,
>> according to YOU, and your precious Newton laws, it
>> would drop toward the Earth.
>
> Nancy has stated previously that the moon's orbit not circular,
> that I agree with. It's the orbital period that Nancy and I have
> a small problem with, I say the Moon orbits once a month
> while Nancy says twice per month.

An ellipse with the focus in the center, or nearly so, when divided
into 4 quarters, is less than 90 degrees for two quarters and more than
90 degrees for the other two - 4 quarters, each for a week, equal a
month.  How did you get a 2 week period out of those statements?  Given
the words "twice a month .. less than 90 degrees" in the above Zeta
statement, to assume a two week period would put the Moon in a
comet-like orbit around the Earth.  Is that what the Moon does?  Is
this the assumption you're working under?  Did they need to SAY
otherwise to avoid your misunderstanding?  Did you think we were talking
about a Moon other than the Earth's Moon?  Does Paul like to insert
silly digressions?