link to Home Page

Re: Challenge to Jim Scotti

Article: <6j9iuo$b4h@sjx-ixn3.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Challenge to Jim Scotti
Date: 12 May 1998 13:31:04 GMT

In article <3556999B.14F0@nospam.sc.hp.com> Chris Franks writes:
>> There is no orbit that would remove the fact that the gravity
>> between them is immense!  Please, even if they moved so
>> fast as to become a blur, the distance between them does
>> not change, and this would merge those Suns before any
>> sideways motion at all could occur.
>
> Try to picture it as 2 masses, each of zillions of tons of matter,
> spinning around a common center (called a barycenter).  There
> is such a pair of heavy stars that has been observed for the
> past 30 years.

And they are 10 AU apart?  That was the argument.  10 AU apart?

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
The orbiting objects are not aware of what you call the barycenter,
which does not EXIST for them.  They are reacting to dozens of forces,
factors, which you, in fact, seem mostly unaware of.  They are not
apart because they are spinning, they are spinning because they are
attracted to more than each other, and they stay apart because they are
beyond that point where they would merge, so therefore within the point
where their outbound bursts of gravity particles keep them apart.
Those outbursts, between large objects, act like a pair of giant hoses,
whose water streams are pointing directly AT each other, forcing them
apart.  Binary stars can be in motion, while at the same time attracted
to each other, or seemingly stationary, caught in a web of attractions
and repulsions that is a balance such that they seem suspended to you.

But NO binary stars are 10 AU apart.  You are mistaken.  They would
have only gotten that close due to extraordinary circumstances, such as
rapid motion toward each other, and in this case the motion would not
have stopped short of a merger.  It is thus that black holes are
formed, which otherwise would not form during the normal couse of star
system life.  Black holes are started during the birth or rather
renewal of a portion of the Universe.  They are formed at the same time
as incipient stars.  That matter not quickly becoming part of a black
hole keeps its distance from each other, in the manner we have
described.
(End ZetaTalk[TM])

ZetaTalk: Binary Suns

Most suns or bodies large enough to potentially have become suns are in
motion, themselves orbiting around others of like size.  This is not by
accident, but is a factor of their size in proportion to the other
clumps of matter that form coming out of a big bang.  Suns are
monstrous in proportion to their planets, and the planets are monstrous
in proportion to their moons, and all are monstrous in proportion to
the dust and meteor fragments haplessly caught in the web of all the
larger bodies.  Just as the planets in a solar system orbit their sun
because it is the largest voice around them, just so suns themselves
hear the voices of the other suns around them.  If suns are not peers a
different dance ensues, but if peers neither sun dominates the other
and they remain at a distance from each other depending on the balance
point between their gravity attraction to each other and the force of
repulsion that develops as they move toward each other.  If they are in
motion as this balance is achieved they will remain in motion, if all
other factors are also a settled issue at that time - binary suns.

If suns are not of an equal size they are not likely to become
binaries, especially if there are other suns in the vicinity vying to
be dominant.  The smaller sun may dither, perpetually, first
approaching one larger brother and when turned away by the repulsion
force approaching the other brother and likewise being turned away.
This scenario can entail any number of large and small suns.  Do not
these suns of unequal size begin to orbit each other?  Indeed they do,
when the size is greatly disproportional, but most suns are not that
disproportional. Therefore, either a dither or more often a dance
between peers develops.  The dance that binaries do can
be rapid and complex, if other suns are nearby and influence the dance,
or the dance can be a dead stand still, as is the case between your Sun
and its dead twin.