link to Home Page

Re: Challenge to Jim Scotti

Article: <6j4vua$q9o@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Challenge to Jim Scotti
Date: 10 May 1998 19:42:02 GMT

In article <MPG.fbe9e6b2cd2d5c9896f7@news.connect.ab.ca> Paul Campbell
writes:
>> The Moon does NOT HAVE A CIRCULAR ORBIT, and
>> thus you MUST address the fact that twice a month, for a
>> full week, it is LESS THAN 90 DEGREE IN ITS
>> APPROACH TOWARD THE EARTH
>>      ZetaTalk
>
> I'm left wondering what moon the Earth has that <approaches>
> the Earth at an angle less than 90 degrees for a full week
> <twice> a month?

Perhaps if it came from the mouth of one of your good 'ol boys, you'd
recognize it.  In any orbit, an angle of less than 90 between the
tangent and a line drawn from the center of the gravitational giant
causes a pull TOWARD the gravitational giant, and likewise, if this
angle is more than 90 degrees it means the orbiting object is heading
away from the gravitational giant and will have its speed slowed by the
backward draw.  Both David Tholen and John Ladasky addressed this
concept too, but I guess it just sounds different coming from me, huh,
Paul.