link to Home Page

Re: Challenge to Jim Scotti

Article: <6iooui$3kt@sjx-ixn11.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Challenge to Jim Scotti
Date: 6 May 1998 04:29:06 GMT

In article <cBa31.4689$av.7952293@carnaval.risq.qc.ca> Greg Neill
writes:
>> the Moon's orbit is NOT circular, as you have conveniently
>> supposed in this discussion.  It is elliptical.  During its
>> elliptical orbit there are times when it is facing more sharply
>> toward the Earth and in this angle the pull toward the Earth
>> is STRONGER, and would erode the speed.  You assume that
>> this speed would be regained later, but during this point in
>> time, which does not whiz by as it is the situation for days,
>> a full week, it would DROP toward Earth due to this slowing
>> down, and it's orbit thus adjusted!  Are you saying that
>> during this week the orbit would NOT drop toward Earth?
>
> Of course, the orbit of the Moon is actually further complicated
> by gravitational influences of the Sun and other solar system
> bodies, ... The Moon's orbit happens to be nearly circular
> enough that the simple equations of circular motion can give
>  a pleasingly precise demonstration of the principles involved.

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
No, they allow you to have a pleasingly smug impression to yourself!
Stop feeling smug and address the issues.  The Moon does NOT HAVE A
CIRCULAR ORBIT, and thus you MUST address the fact that twice a month,
for a full week, it is LESS THAN 90 DEGREE IN ITS APPROACH TOWARD THE
EARTH, and thus it's speed would be eroded, as we have stated, and its
orbit, according to YOU, and your precious Newton laws, it would drop
toward the Earth.

So why is it still up there, if your stupid laws are right?
(End ZetaTalk[TM])