link to Home Page

Re: Challenge to Jim Scotti

Article: <6ht5rt$7h9@sjx-ixn8.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Challenge to Jim Scotti
Date: 25 Apr 1998 17:17:49 GMT

In article <3540E0CC.4D6F@spammers.of.the.world.unite.etc> M.C.
Harrison
>> And if gravity causes things to go in circles, why does it
>> not so affect sunlight?
>
> The usual answer is that sunlight has no mass, but since it's
> speed of travel is so high, there isn't much chance of producing
> an acceleration force high enough to force it into a circular
> orbit. Newton suggests an orbit round a black hole might work
> out, but I'm sure this would be stretching Newtonian math a
> little too far...

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
It has NO mass?  It is a thing, a photon, but is has NO mass?  This
illogic is to allow your math formulas to continue to work, for the
smug to continue feel superior.  Of course the answer is that the light
rays you see are those that did NOT bend, but went in a straight line
away from their gravitational source.  Light bends when sent through
prisms, within water to create the illusion that objects are other than
where they appear, and at your poles when subjected to the magnetic
fields to produce your auroras.

Our point was that if you apply your orbital mechanics, your Newton
math forumlas, to light particles, they don't work!  Thus, you don't
apply them!  Look the other way!  Avoid the contradictions!  This is
science?  It has been stated elsewhere that mass is not a factor in
Newton's mechanics, only speed and direction of motion.  Fine.  Then
whether the light particle has mass or no, Newton's formulas should
work.  Can't have it both ways!  If you and your fellows are stating
that mass does not matter in an orbit, then put the light particles in
the formula and lets see what we get!  We would get BENT light in ALL
circumstances!

What light, coming from light years away, has not been subjected to
SOME influences along the way!  It leaves a solar system, which if
filled with clutter, and must bend slightly due to this.  It enters
YOUR solar system, also filled with clutter, and makes its way down to
your eyes and telescope.  Yet you consider the path STRAIGHT, find it
to be so as objects appear where they should be if this was the case.
The light ray made it through the Asteroid Belt without being affected,
however slightly?  You don't apply Newton to light particles because
his logic would FAIL!  Such is your science!
(End ZetaTalk[TM])