link to Home Page

Re: Zacharia Sitchin

Article: <6haglq$5nv@sjx-ixn6.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Zacharia Sitchin
Date: 18 Apr 1998 15:25:46 GMT

In article <1998041805104900.BAA17538@ladder03.news.aol.com> Randomity
writes:
> Could someone please present me with a cogent argument either
> in support of or against the concept of a 12th planet with a 3,600
> year elliptical orbit.

The second best argument is in the written and oral history of cultures
around the world, evidence that they have EXPERIENCED such periodic
upheavals, in 3,600 periods, approximately.  Velikovsky has collected
and presented many of these in his book Worlds in Collision.  Where
many attack the messenger, throwing all Velikovsky's insights out when
fault can be found with anything he said, these written records he
quotes were NOT done by him, and stand on their own merits.  For
instance:

Excerpts from Worlds in Collision, by Velikovsky, pp 67-69, The
Hurricane .. follow:

Manuscript Troano and other documents of the Mayas describe a cosmic
catastrophe during which the ocean fell on the continent, and a
terrible hurricane swept the earth.  The hurricane broke up and carried
away all towns and all forests.  A wild tornado moved through the
debris descending from the sky.  The end of the world was brought by
Hurakan.  From this name is derived hurricane, the word we use for a
strong wind.

The theme of the cosmic hurricane is reiterated time and again in the
Hindu Vedas and in the Persian Avesta.  The 11th tablet of the Epic of
Gilgamesh says that 6 days and a night the hurricane, deluge, and
tempest continued sweeping the land and mankind perished almost
altogether.  The Maoris narrate that amid a stupendous catastrophe the
mighty winds, the fierce squalls, the clouds, dense, dark, fiery,
wildly drifting, wildly bursting,rushed on creation, ... and swept away
giant forests and lashed the waters into billows whose crests rose high
like mountains.

The Polynesians celebrate a god, Taafanua.  In Arabic, Tyfoon is a
whirlwind and Tufan is the Deluge;  and the same word occurs in Chinese
as Ty-fong.  It appears as though the noise of the hurricane was .. not
unlike the name Typhon.