link to Home Page

Re: Zacharia Sitchin

Article: <6haghs$l1c@dfw-ixnews8.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Zacharia Sitchin
Date: 18 Apr 1998 15:23:40 GMT

In article <1998041805104900.BAA17538@ladder03.news.aol.com> Randomity
writes:
> Could someone please present me with a cogent argument either
> in support of or against the concept of a 12th planet with a 3,600
> year elliptical orbit.

The second best argument is in the written and oral history of cultures
around the world, evidence that they have EXPERIENCED such periodic
upheavals, in 3,600 periods, approximately.  Velikovsky has collected
and presented many of these in his book Worlds in Collision.  Where
many attack the messenger, throwing all Velikovsky's insights out when
fault can be found with anything he said, these written records he
quotes were NOT done by him, and stand on their own merits.  For
instance:

Excerpts from Worlds in Collision, by Velikovsky, pp 105-114, East and
West

Our planet rotates from west to east.  Has it always done so?  There is
testimony from all parts of the world that the side which is now turned
toward the evening once faced the morning.   The Egyptians pride
themselves on being the most ancient people in the world.  In their
authentic annals .. one may read that .. the course of the stars has
changed direction .. and that the sun has set in that part of the sky
where it rises today.  In the Papyrus Ipuwer it is similarly stated
that "the land turns round as does a potter's wheel" and "the Earth
turns over".

Plato wrote in his dialogue: "At certain periods the universe has its
present circular motion, and at other periods it revolves in the
reverse direction."  Plato wrote in Politicus: "There is at that time
great destruction of animals in general, and only a small part of the
human race survives".  The Chinese say that it is only since a new
order of things has come about that the stars move from east to west.
The signs of the Chinese zodiac have the strange peculiarity of
proceeding in a retrograde direction, that is, against the course of
the sun.  The Eskimos of Greenland told missionaries that in an ancient
time the earth turned over.

Excerpts from Worlds in Collision, by Velikovsky, pp 114-115 Reversed
Polarity of the Earth

It is possible to detect in the geological records of the earth the
orientation of the terrestrial magnetic field in past ages.  When lava
cools and freezes following a volcanic outburst, it takes up a
permanent magnetization dependent upon the orientation of the Earth's
magnetic field at the time.  The reversed polarity of lava indicates
that in recent geological times the magnetic poles of the globe were
reversed.