link to Home Page

Re: Zacharia Sitchin

Article: <6hagag$o7t@dfw-ixnews11.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Zacharia Sitchin
Date: 18 Apr 1998 15:19:44 GMT

In article <1998041805104900.BAA17538@ladder03.news.aol.com> Randomity
writes:
> Could someone please present me with a cogent argument either
> in support of or against the concept of a 12th planet with a 3,600
> year elliptical orbit.

The second best argument is in the written and oral history of cultures
around the world, evidence that they have EXPERIENCED such periodic
upheavals, in 3,600 periods, approximately.  Velikovsky has collected
and presented many of these in his book Worlds in Collision.  Where
many attack the messenger, throwing all Velikovsky's insights out when
fault can be found with anything he said, these written records he
quotes were NOT done by him, and stand on their own merits.  For
instance:

Excerpts from Worlds in Collision, by Velikovsky, pp 62-65, Earthquake
.. follow:

The reason why the Israelite were more fortunate than the Egyptians
probably lies in the kind of material of which their dwellings were
constructed.  Occupying a marshy district and working on clay, the
captives must have lived in huts made of clay and reeds, which are more
resilient than brick and stone.  In Mexican annals, during a
catastrophe accompanied by hurricane and earthquake, only the people
who lived in small log cabins remained uninjured.  The larger buildings
were swept away.  They found that those who lived in small houses had
escaped, as well as the newly married couples, whose custom it was to
live for a few years in cabins in front of those of their
fathers-in-law.

Exodus (12:29) states "Forsooth.  The children of princes are dashed
against the walls .. the children of princes are cast out in the
streets".  The population fled.  Ipuwer wrote "Men flee .. tents are
what they make, like the dwellers of hills".  The population of a city
destroyed by an earthquake usually spends the nights in the fields.

This happened on the night of the 14th of the month of Aviv.  (Exodus
12:6 and 13:4)  This is the night of Passover, as the Israelites
originally celebrated Passover on the eve of the 14th of Aviv.  (Where)
the Hebrews counted, and still count, the beginning of the day from
sunset, the Egyptians reckoned from sunrise.  For the Egyptians it was
the 13th day.  Here we have the answer to the open question concerning
the origin of the superstition which regards the number 13, and
especially the 13th day, as unlucky and inauspicious.  (There is no)
record of this belief found dating from before the Exodus.