The planet Kolob is mentioned in the writings of Abraham in the third chapter. Here is what is written on Kolob:
- And I, Abraham, had the Urim and Thummim, which the Lord my God had given unto me, in Ur of the Chaldees;
- And I saw the stars, that they were very great, and that one of them was nearest unto the throne of God; and there were many great ones which were near
- And the Lord said unto me: These are the governing ones; and the name of the great one is Kolob, because it is near unto me, for I am the Lord thy God: I
have set this one to govern all those which belong to the same order as that upon which thou standest.
- And the Lord said unto me, by the Urim and Thummim, that Kolob was after the manner of the Lord, according to its times and seasons in the revolutions
thereof; that one revolution was a day unto the Lord, after his manner of reckoning, it being one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that
whereon thou standest. This is the reckoning of the Lord's time, according to the reckoning of Kolob.
- And the Lord said unto me: The planet which is the lesser light, lesser than that which is to rule the day, even the night, is above or greater than that upon
which thou standest in point of reckoning, for it moveth in order more slow; this is in order because it standeth above the earth upon which thou standest,
therefore the reckoning of its time is not so many as to its number of days, and of months, and of years.
- And the Lord said unto me: Now, Abraham, these two facts exist, behold thine eyes see it; it is given unto thee to know the times of reckoning, and the set
time, yea, the set time of the earth upon which thou standest, and the set time of the greater light which is set to rule the day, and the set time of the lesser
light which is set to rule the night.
- Now the set time of the lesser light is a longer time as to its reckoning than the reckoning of the time of the earth upon which thou standest.
- And where these two facts exist, there shall be another fact above them, that is, there shall be another planet whose reckoning of time shall be longer still;
- And thus there shall be the reckoning of the time of one planet above another, until thou come nigh unto Kolob, which Kolob is after the reckoning of the
Lord's time; which Kolob is set nigh unto the throne of God, to govern all those planets which belong to the same order as that upon which thou standest.
- And it is given unto thee to know the set time of all the stars that are set to give light, until thou come near unto the throne of God.
- Thus I, Abraham, talked with the Lord, face to face, as one man talketh with another; and he told me of the works which his hands had made;
- And he said unto me: My son, my son (and his hand was stretched out), behold I will show you all these. And he put his hand upon mine eyes, and I saw
those things which his hands had made, which were many; and they multiplied before mine eyes, and I could not see the end thereof.
- And he said unto me: This is Shinehah, which is the sun. And he said unto me: Kokob, which is star. And he said unto me: Olea, which is the moon. And he
said unto me: Kokaubeam, which signifies stars, or all the great lights, which were in the firmament of heaven.
- And it was in the night time when the Lord spake these words unto me: I will multiply thee, and thy seed after thee, like unto these; and if thou canst count
the number of sands, so shall be the number of thy seeds.
- And the Lord said unto me: Abraham, I show these things unto thee before ye go into Egypt, that ye may declare all these words.
- If two things exist, and there be one above the other, there shall be greater things above them; therefore Kolob is the greatest of all the Kokaubeam that thou
hast seen, because it is nearest unto me.
In a Mormon scripture entitled Pearl of Great Price.
The Book of Abraham, published in March 1842, gives us a grand view of the stars, planets, and the residence of God. ... Thus Kolob, the star
which governs planets of the same order as the earth, is similar to the sun, which Africanus calls "the prince, Lord and ruler of all the other worlds,
the mind and guiding principle of the entire universe."
Offered by Christer.