- Magnitude 6.4 - Central Mid-Atlantic Ridge
2003 Dec 21 07:40:45 UTC
- A strong earthquake occurred at 07:40:45 (UTC) on Sunday, December 21, 2003. The magnitude 6.4 event has been located near the Central
Mid-Atlantic Ridge. (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)
- Magnitude 6.5 - Central California
2003 Dec 22 19:15:56 UTC
- A strong earthquake occurred at 19:15:56 (UTC) on Monday, December 22, 2003. The magnitude 6.5 event has been located in Central
California. The hypocentral depth was estimated to be 8 km ( 5 miles). (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)
- Magnitude 6.3 - Panama, Costa Rica Border Region
2003 Dec 25 07:11:11 UTC
- A strong earthquake occurred at 07:11:11 (UTC) on Thursday, December 25, 2003. The magnitude 6.3 event has been located in the Panama,
Costa Rica Border Region. (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)
- Powerful earthquake off NZ Coast, Dec 26
- An earthquake measuring 7.0 on the Richter scale has been detected deep on the Pacific Ocean floor off the eastern coast of New Zealand. The
quake struck 480 kilometres north-east of White Island, the Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences reported on its website. It was recorded
210 kilometres below the surface, and unlikely to have been felt on land, officials said.
- Thousands Dead In Iran Earthquake, Dec 26
- A severe earthquake devastated the historic city of Bam in southeast Iran on Friday, and a preliminary estimate said the death toll could reach
10,000. Hasan Khoshrou, a legislator for Kerman province where the quake occurred, said there was still no precise number of dead from the
magnitude 6.7 quake, but officials working in Bam had given him that figure.
- Signs of the Times #568
- Strong earthquake measuring 6.3 on the Richter scale rocks Indonesia, Sunday, [Dec 28]. [and from another] A strong earthquake struck off
the east coast of the French island of New Caledonia on Sunday [Dec 28] the third in three days to hit the area on the Pacific Ocean island
northeast of Australia. The magnitude 7.0 temblor was centred 350km east of Noumea. Quakes of similar magnitude hit the same area off New
Caledonia's coast on Friday and Saturday without causing any damage. [and from another] Villagers on the Maharashtra-Madhya Pradesh
border are living in fear [Dec 28] because the repeated tremors experienced in the region. Seismological observatory said that the epicentre for
the earthquake in Badwani, Madhya Pradesh was measured 6.6 on the Richter Scale.
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2003-12/29/content_1252482.htm An earthquake registering 6.0 on the Richter scale hit eastern Hokkaido,
north Japan, on Monday [Dec 29] morning, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.